Re: A question @Mark Wilaard (and other developer)

Hi Patrick.

On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 13:11 +0000, theUser BL wrote:
Have a look at
http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=18036&tstart=0
there I have written a qustion at Mark and other developers.

IMO, it is not necessary and feasible to have The One OSS/F Java implementation. That's not how the Free Software model has worked in the past and I see no reason why it would in the future and for Java. Just look at the kernels, desktops, editors, etc etc, where there's always the question 'why not pull forces together and work on The One implementation'. Easy answer, there's lots of different people and groups involved in free software development with different goals and requirements, different development models, different ideals etc etc. And really, I think the world would not be any better with only one implementation of them all. AFAICS, it's apparent the having more than one implementation is better in most cases.

What I'd find best for Java is something like we have in the BSD world. Friendly competing communities, with code flowing freely in all directions. Something similar would be healthy for Java too, having 3 implementations in friendly competetion with code flowing between them as it fits. Of course, the basic requirements for this is that all 3 licenses allow such a scenario. It would be sad if there's only 1 or 2 of the implementations 'inside' and the other(s) 'outside' of the Java community. I'd really like to see Sun, Harmony and Classpath developing and improving Java, all in their own ways and using their own methods. This could allow one party to focus on their stuff and include other pieces from other parties.

Of course, when GNU, Sun and Apache can get together to work on one implementation, that would be great, but very very unlikely. Just as unlikely as a Gnome-KDE merger, or a Linux/*BSD/Hurd merger, etc.

Cheers, Roman