Harmony, Suns work in progress OSS Java, GNU Classpath and the Java SE front

Sibnce the end of the last month, there existing precompiled Snapshots of Apache Harmony with AWT, Swing and all the Intel-contributed parts.

http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator/harmony/snapshots/

You need still the closed source JVM v2 or v3 to running it:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/harmony/index.html

Here a little screenshots of GNU Classpaths Swing Activity board running on Apache Harmony:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/theuserbl/Bildschirmphoto1.png

There are programs which run better on Harmony and there are programs whioch run better on Classpath.

For example, the JFileChooser is a lot of better in Harmony.
But the JColorChooser is better in Classpath I think.
The BeanShell Workplace runs on Harmony better, then it on Classpath ever does.
The JTable have already real movable columns in Harmony.

But the security libraries for example existing only for Classpath I think.

Also there existing a corroboration by Robert Brewin at
http://www.infoworld.com/marticle/06/07/17/HNjavaopen_1.html
that Suns Java will be really OpenSource in the future.
He sayd, that it will be in bigger steps. In the Hune of the next year it is planned to open the JVM, Swing and some other things. But why he don't publish already today the first classes under an OpenSource license is for me unclear. So it ins't sure, if it is right, what Brewin said and it really an OpenSource license will be.

An other point is GNU Classpath at the moment.
GNU Classpath 0.92 was ok. But all the snapshots after it have more and more bugs.

- The beanshell no longer runs right.
- If you open in the foxhunt game more fields with pressed mouse key, then the fields will no longer open, when the mouse coursor reach the field (or button), it opens after the mouse cursor leaves the field.

Then the buttons are wrong drawn since a while. There is a line though the buttons. The titles of internel windows looks wrong and other thing which looks very buggy.

Greatings
theuserbl