Random list of AWT TODOs

On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 10:53 +0100, Andrew John Hughes wrote:

> Wasn't there talk a while back about having an ImageMagick ImageIO
> plugin?  I don't know what happened to it, but this would handle a lot
> of these obscure formats.

Yup. Still, pure-java plugins are still desirable though, I'm not really
sure the need for an ImageMagick plugin is as great now that most of the
usual suspects (GIF/PNG/JPEG) are coming along in pure java.

> Is there also no way that Gtk+ or Qt image support could be leveraged
> for our purposes?

Yes, we currently do use this, there's a IIO plugin based on Gdk-pixbuf
(which sucks, however.. something's wrong with it.) and both the
Toolkits use the native libraries for createImage().

However, neither lib is really that great; Qt supports PNG/JPEG/GIF and
Gdk has additional support for pcx, ras, ico, wmf and xpm/xbm.* None of
which is really a hard format to support. (Actually I might have a PCX
decoder lying around somewhere that I wrote 10 years ago (when that was
still a popular format))

/Sven