[cp-patches] FYI: Handle thread state

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 14:16:49 +0200
Christian Thalinger <twisti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 10:35 +0100, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> > Based on your comments, it seems you agree with my original intuition
> > of making this a native VM call (by default) in the majority of
> > cases, but
> > efficiency would seem to be fairly VM specific.
> >
> > I suppose I was aiming on lightening the load on the VM interface, as
> > I seem to be throwing tons down there lately.  I'd be interested in
> > comments
> > from other VM coders as to what they feel is best.
>
> For me it seems to be the better way to do this in the VM itself.
> Although I'm not sure when I have to set which state :-)  Enlighten me!
>
> TWISTI

Briefly, I think it goes as follows (anyone who knows better please
point out any missing changes):

* Threads are created in the NEW state
* When started, they become RUNNABLE
* If they enter a synchronized method and can't get the monitor lock, they
are BLOCKED.  This also happens when they reawaken from a wait() call in a
synchronized method and try to get the lock again.
* If sleep or join are called with time limits, they go into TIMED_WAITING.
* Likewise, sleep or join without a time limit is WAITING.
* I assume suspend() is a WAITING state for someone to call resume() (they are deprecated anyway)
* Whenever a thread becomes unblocked or stops waiting, it goes back to RUNNABLE
* When a thread dies, its state is TERMINATED

Thanks,
--
Andrew :-)

Department of Computer Science