ImageIO plugins problem

Hi,

I'm using IKVM.NET 0.28.0.0, and therefore also GNU Classpath 0.91, to
be able to make use of an Java class library containing image processing
functions. These functions are using javax.imageio functions like
ImageIO.getImageReaders().

The problem is that there are no ImageReaders and/or ImageWriters
available when using GNU Classpath. From examining the sourcecode i
noticed that in Sun's Java class library implementation

the registration of these ImageReaders and/or ImageWriters is done at
the instantiation of the IIORegistry. In the GNU Classpath
implementation however this is not the case. I understand that these
plugins (com.sun.imageio.plugins.*) are missing in the GNU Classpath
implementation because of licensing issues with Sun.

My questions is: are there other ImageReaders and ImageWriters
(especially JPEG) that can be used freely and how do I add these to the
IIORegistry?

Many thanks in advance,

Martin.