Progress towards game applet/application

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 10:18:01AM +0200, Josef Spillner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm involved in a game project which among other clients has a Java applet
> which can also run as an application.
> My system is a powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu (Debian/unstable) and I've been using
> Classpath-based VMs for several months for Java development. Yet the applet,
> as it uses AWT and Swing, posed some problems.
>
> In previous months, I was glad enough that it compiled with jikes or gcj, even
> though some Java 1.5 features had to be converted back (e.g. enums). But it
> never ran, as the Gtk+ peering was still being developed.
>
> Now with classpath-0.9.1, the application starts up and displays its text in
> the status bar, but the main content of a window, which uses AWT's
> Graphics2D, it not shown. Instead, an exception is raised:
>
> Exception during event dispatch:
> java.lang.ClassCastException: can't cast `gnu/java/awt/peer/gtk/GdkGraphics'
> to `java/awt/Graphics2D
>
> Is Graphics2D still incomplete? I had a quick look at the source and it seems
> to exist for a long time already.
> Also, is this a Gtk+ specific problem? I'd like to try out the Qt peering, but
> don't know how.

The Graphics2D implementation is still in development and needs to get
activated explicitely by configuring classpath with --enable-gtk-cairo
and using the runtime property -Dgnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.Graphics=Graphics2D.

> When trying to use gij-4.1 instead:
>
> ** ERROR **:
> file ../../../../../../../src/libjava/classpath/native/jni/gtk-peer/gnu_java_awt_peer_gtk_GdkGraphics2D.c:
> line 264 (begin_drawing_operation): assertion failed: (cairo_status (gr->cr)
> == CAIRO_STATUS_SUCCESS)
> aborting...

That seems to be a bug in the old classpath snapshot that gcj-4.1 uses.
Please file a bug with a reduced testcase to Debian and I will see what
I can fix.

Cheers,
Michael