Socket inherits timeout from accept - is this right?

Hello!

I tracked down a problem where JOnAS on classpath/cacao dropped
a database connection for no good reason. The cause was that the
ServerSocket used for "accept" has a one-second timeout set, and
the accepted Sockets inherit it.

This inheritance of options is documented for the accept(2)
system call, but I don't think it is intended behaviour on
the java.net.Socket level. I did not find any reference to
that in the ServerSocket documentation.

The database in question was HSQLDB 1.8.0. An additional

    socket.setSoTimeout(0)

on the accepted socket solved the problem, but I dont think that
is required of Java apps, or is it?

Cheers
-Edwin