Next release, vacation, LinuxTag

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:22:45 +0200
Mark Wielaard <mark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 13:07 +0200, Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> > Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > > I believe that with your and Andrew's work we are now synced
> > > for the VM Classes between generics and trunk.
> >
> > Yeah, I think so too.
> >
> > > It would be a good point to declare the vm classes interface
> > > frozen for now and work towards a new snapshot release that includes
> > > them.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > > Unfortunately I am going on vacation in about an hour and then attend
> > > LinuxTag the week after so I won't be able to coordinate it. But if
> > > someone else would and could see if the vm interface is doable for
> > > other runtimes (I believe it works with jamvm and cacao already with
> > > only minor patches that add some noops for now) that would be
> > > appreciated.
> >
> > I would hardly call going on vacation "unfortunate" ;-) Prettige
> > vakantie! I don't anticipate any difficulaties for the other VMs, but
> > should they arise, I'm sure we'll work it out ;-)
>
> :) Thanks. I do like making releases! But I guess I should learn to
> enjoy vacations without internet access. So this is my last email for
> now! I wrote down the release/testing steps and put them on our
> developer wiki:
> http://developer.classpath.org/mediation/ClasspathReleaseProcess

Thanks, Mark.  This documentation describes the process well and quite
succinctly.

> It would probably be a good idea if someone could do some testing and
> create the release branch somewhere next week if things look OK (maybe
> Andrew could do that since he has most experience with classpath
> branches and knows whether the generics-branch is up to date or not).

I propose to run some tests today and hopefully create the release branch
this evening if things are in a suitably stable state. Any help would
be much appreciated, especially from those who have a few apps. ready
to provide a smoke test.

Does anyone have any feelings on this at the moment (especially with
regard to the AWT/Swing code)?  Are there any pressing patches that
should go in before the release?

> And others can help with testing even if they don't do cvs since the
> autobuilder does put dists that it created at
> http://builder.classpath.org/dist/
>
> See you in 2 weeks, and maybe I'll see some of you at LinuxTag next
> week.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Cheers,
--
Andrew :-)

Department of Computer Science
University of Sheffield

http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~andrew

Say No2ID - Renew your UK passport in May 2006
http://www.renewforfreedom.org