jarsigner tool

On Mar 23, 2006, at 3:47 AM, Audrius Meskauskas wrote:

> Maybe one person can look into that code, write the brief draft of
> the documentation and then another can implement it using that
> documentation only? This would be the possibility to work with
> formats for that there is no other specification available apart
> from the released piece of the implementing code.

That is, in fact, what the documentation comments for that class do,
which are rendered here: <http://metastatic.org/source/JKS.html>.
This is a simple, English description of the format, and I don't
think (but, not-a-lawyer, yadda yadda) if someone were to use this to
construct their own implementation, even if this description was
obtained through reverse engineering.

I mean, as far as the *idea* of that format goes:

   - No-one can claim it's a trade secret, because Sun licenses the
source to third parties.
   - No-one can make a copyright claim, because it's a simple English
description of an algorithm, not Sun's code itself.
   - This format is unlikely to be patented.

So, if I reverse-engineer this format, then write a simple document
describing the format and give that description to someone else, the
question is how "tainted" that person is. I don't think here in the
US this taints the other person much at all. Do any other
jurisdictions (of which the present company is a resident) have
lenient enough laws such that using this description to write a new
implementation doesn't taint them?