jarsigner tool

Hi Raif,

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 21:16 +1100, Raif S. Naffah wrote:
> i now have a working first (rough) cut of the above.

Very cool!

> but before i check
> the code in i'd like a second opinion on a legal-related issue.
>
> the tool reads and uses private and public cryptographic data from a
> keystore that is in a proprietary format: "JKS" from Sun.  the code i
> use to do the reading from such a keystore* is available at
> <http://metastatic.org/source/JKS.java>.
>
> i'd like a ruling on whether it's ok to import and use this code in GNU
> Classpath.

Unfortunately no. The last time this came up FSF legal didn't like us
using code which was written by reverse engineering the original code
and format. And for which no public documentation was available at all.
We can ask again of course. And maybe just using the description of the
format (which I believe is also documented outside the code you
reference itself) and then letting someone else write a new
implementation for it is OK.

The question is also whether we really need to support this undocumented
keystore format. There are open formats. And we can also work towards
something like http://metastatic.org/text/gnu-keyring.txt

What is your opinion? Is it important enough to support this JKS format
to try and jump through some legal hoops? Or can we just stick to open
keystore formats?

Cheers,

Mark