RFC: jessie-nio branch, keytool

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 13:42 -0800, Casey Marshall wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I had been doing a little work on rewriting Jessie to support the new
> JSSE API in J2SE 1.5, which adds support for SSL-over-NIO. A rewrite
> is probably the only way to support this; I looked at the current
> code to see if I could just insert a shim over the blocking-IO code,
> but it doesn't look like that will fly; at least not without creating
> a new thread or two per SSL connection, in which case, what would be
> the point?
>
> So, now that Jessie's been merged into Classpath, I'd like to create
> a `jessie-nio' branch to continue this work. I assume it's OK for me
> to go ahead and make this branch, modulo any naming suggestions.
>
> Also, in GNU Crypto we were working on a replacement for `keytool;'
> do we want to merge that into Classpath, too? It is currently using
> Aaron Renn's Java Getopt package to do option parsing. Do we want to
> bring a version of this into Classpath (I think it would be a good
> idea, because then all tools we support could have a standard GNU
> command-line interface for all tools, which even a Java project
> should try to do), or should the parts here be rewritten? Getopt is
> LGPL, but I don't see that as a barrier for using a copy in Classpath.

I'm in favour of merging both keytool and getopt into GNU Classpath.
gcjappletviewer uses getopt to provide a GNU command-line interface and
I agree that all the tools should use it.

I'd like to see keytool (and all the other Classpath Tools) merged
directly into cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/classpath, rather than
having them in a separate repository.  This will ready GNU Classpath to
be self-bootstrapping when we introduce a bootstrap runtime.

Tom