Re: Certain font sizes can't be configured permanently

Am Samstag, den 12.09.2020, 14:56 +0100 schrieb Tony Houghton:
> Do you mean that when you load gnome-tweaks, it shows the scaling
> factor to be 1.6, but the desktop does not use that setting until you
> change it, then change it back to 1.6?

Exactly.

> This implies that the setting is being saved correctly, but another
> part of GNOME is failing to honour it at start-up.

Yes, I've thought it was something like that, too.

> Fractional scaling is quite a new feature, so maybe some old integer-
> only settings have been left behind and are clashing. Try running
> these commands:
>
> gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides
> gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor
> gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor
>
> Based on the Arch wiki page for hidpi, I think the first two are
> obsolete integer settings and the third is for fractional scaling, so
> you want the first to show an empty list ('@a{sv} {}'), or at least
> not contain 'Gdk/WindowScalingFactor', and the second to be zero. The
> last should show 1.6.

$ gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides
@a{sv} {}

$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor
uint32 0

$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor
1.6000000000000001

> If the first two are not empty/zero, I bet that's what's causing the
> problem.

Well, they are...

> You should be able to fix it with:
>
> gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides
> "[]"
> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 0
>
> Monitor drivers never really existed, they were just files that
> contained mode information in the "old days" before EDID etc made it
> all automatic. They were called drivers to make it simpler for
> Windows users to understand. In Linux you used to have to edit X
> config files instead. I'm quite sure they are of no relevance to your
> current issue.

Yes, it doesn't affect the whole screen. Only font sizes are
affected... This doesn't look like a "driver" issue to me, too.

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 at 16:17, Volker Wysk <post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have a 4k monitor, which means that all the font sizes must be
> > adjusted. I'm leaving the font sizes in gnome-tweaks alone, and am
> > setting a scaling factor of 1.6 instead. This worked fine until
> > about a
> > week ago.
> >
> > But now, after I log in, the configured font sizes don't seem to be
> > in
> > effect. The fonts of the top bar, and of the icons on the desktop,
> > are
> > tiny again.
> >
> > When I change the scaling factor, in gnome-tweaks, the fonts are
> > back
> > to the configured size immediately. It's enough to increase it by
> > 0,01
> > and set it back to 1.6 again.
> >
> > But the next time I log in, it's all back to tiny fonts again.
> >
> > Is there any Gnome configuration magic, for how to set it
> > permanently?

Regards,
Volker