Re: Gnome Future Question

Em Dom, 2014-07-20 às 23:25 -0500, Michael Catanzaro escreveu:
On Wed, 2014-07-16 at 11:35 +0000, Nenad Latinović wrote:
> Anyway, if i get used to the
> workflow, how certain can i be that gnome won't die on me halfway?

GNOME is a large project with far more developers than any of its
competitors, except for KDE, which is comparable. You should be much
more concerned about the longevity of whatever desktop you are using
right now. GNOME isn't going anywhere.
For me, I use FreeBSD, gnome is still in the 2.32. and is doing very well
I use it for several years, all my clients use it.
Users change when there is a great change in the
way they use technology, for example: Android. To move from a desktop
do an Android, system, people accept new "tecnlology" easy... Update
an desktop enviromnet that people use it for generations is not a good idea.

See the example of Apple, its OSX launched on march, 24 2001, that is
about 13 years, and their graphic appearance have not change so much. OS X is a
successfull OS, (I do not use it, as mac is too expensive, too closed for me...) but
the users love it.. It just "works"...

On the other hand, there is Windows 7, windows vista, windows 8, windows 8.1...
every version is different from the previous, suposely to produce more "produtivity"
to the user, while Apple strategy is not change the way users "use", Microsoft, force
uses to "change".. Microsof it dumping 18000 employees.. Apple is hiring...

By the way, some users here still loves the SUN's openview, OLVWM with its blue screen...
I am generating MATE desktop too.. but 90% loves gnome 2.32.