Re: great job on Gnome 3

John Boyle wrote, On 03/02/2014 01:18 AM:

> I just installed stock Debian with Gnome 3 (first time seeing it), and
> it is AWESOME! You've put together some of my favorite windowing
> features from both Windows and OS X.  The help is great and the keyboard
> shortcuts make sense.
>
> I remember hearing about the uproar when you released it; I'm sad that
> so many people hated on your great work.  It "just works" and I don't
> have to tweak a bit of it.

I too applaud the beautiful work, but I must admit that I keep going
back to Gnome Classic.  I'm just stuck on seeing icons for my open
windows down on that task bar, where I can click to Maximize and click
again to Minimize, and even re-order.  In GNOME 3, I have to move the
cursor to upper-left (or press the Windows key), and see the big
zoom-out effect with all my windows miniaturized, and then click the
window I want.

Also -- and I'm sure the Gnome people hear this complaint a lot -- I
want Alt-Tab to switch between windows, not applications.  I don't care
about applications as such.

Having said all that, I keep going back into Gnome 3 on occasion just to
see if I can acclimatize myself.  I'm not hating on Gnome 3 here, just
telling you that my whole work flow is anchored to that task bar in
Gnome Classic.  I *will* keep trying Gnome 3, because there truly is a
lot of beautiful work there.

-- Patrick