gnome-settings-daemon blowing up my audit logs

Standing up a new Centos 6.4 workstation and trying to tame the audit logs somewhat as I am filling up an entire 6Mb log in 1 day.  Apparently gnome-settings-daemon and gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor tried to open /etc/fstab some 1384 times in the last 24 hours for some reason.  In addition gnome-pty-helper tried to open /var/run/utmp twice in the same time period.

I have auditing on all unsuccessful file access attempts set up and don't want my logs filled with clutter.  My preference would be to modify whatever configs these gnome daemons are using to stop trying to access fstab and utmp rather than just ignoring the failed access attempts.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here and why gnome applets need to access fstab/utmp?  Is there a gconf setting I can use to disable the access attempts?