Re: Gnome Broken After Debian Update/Upgrade

Joao,

Thanks! I got the same recommendation from the Debian users list, and it worked.

Mark

On Jul 2, 2013 8:10 AM, "João Palhoto Matos" <jmatos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Em 02-07-2013 15:57, Mark Phillips escreveu:

I have been running Debian testing on my laptop for several years. I performed a "routine" update/upgrade on Sunday, and I seem to have lost gnome.

Installing gnome-shell from unstable (3.4.2-10) cleared this for me.

Gnome Classic mostly worked but I also used kde for about one hour.

It's called testing for some reason.;)

Hope this will help you.

At first, I could not log in, but I got that fixed. However, when I log in, all I get is my wallpaper. No favorites on the left, no window docks (not sure of the terminology here) on the right, no taskbar at the top, etc. Just a wall paper. I also get an error message "No system tray detected, unable to start". However, I traced that back to an hp printer service, so I don't think it is relevant.

I have tried uninstalling/installing gnome, but no change. I tried creating an new user and logging in with that user, and I get the same situation - but the default wall paper and not my personal one. I have looked through the 'net to find solutions, and I am not getting anywhere.

I cannot find any error messages to work with in aptitude, apt, gdm, Xorg, and dmesg. I can ssh into the box from my tablet with no problem.

Please let me know how to fix this issue.....I need my laptop back!!

Thanks,

Mark

João Palhoto Matos
Departamento de Matemática