Autostart programs and environment variables

Hello,
I have a program which needs a LD_PRELOAD to run, and I'd like to have
it autostarted every time the gnome-session starts.

So I ran gnome-session-properties and added the whole command line to
the Startup Applications as I would type it in a shell:

LD_PRELOAD=<lib> <absolute path of the program>

It does not start. The syntax of .desktop files seems not to have a
provision for environment variables (documentation of Exec key says
nothing about those), and the function g_shell_parse_argv() seems not to
take in account ENVVARIABLE=value on the command line, unlike a "real" shell.

Is there a way to solve the problem? Or should this be considered a bug
in gnome-session?

Regards,
Fabrizio