Re: gnome3, yet another negative feedback

On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 10:27 -0400, joncr wrote:
> On 05/21/2013 07:38 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > There is a factor here that if someone doesn't want to adapt their
> > practices - then any new interface is going to be clumsy...
> Even then, there are plenty of extensions designed to bring back the old
> panel and menus approach for those who want to stay with that.

There is even a suite of extensions ["Legacy"] for exactly that purpose.

> The best way to use Gnome Shell is to spend a little bit of time using
> it as the designers intend.  Find out what you like and what you don't
> like, then see if you can fix the "don't like" part with extensions.

Yep.
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com/2011/05/fortnight-with-gnome3.html>
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com/2012/09/recommended-gnome3-extensions.html>

> I'm not a heavy keyboard user, so I install the DashToDock extension
> (turns the Dash into a real configurable dock independent of the
> Overview), kill the hot corner and window animations and I'm good to go.

I am a heavy keyboarder, and I use DaskToDock as well.  Great extension.

> It's surprising to me that more than two years on Gnome Shell is still
> subject to so much vitriol. Liking Gnome 2 and
> regretting its demise is fine.  But, all things end.  Failing to accept
> that, venting bile and attacking people who happen to like Gnome Shell,
> all apparently based  on the presumption that the developers broke some
> kind of sacred obligation, is inappropriate behavior.

Yep.

What irks me is the *accusing* developers of not listening to users,
insisting that things be discussed 'in the open', etc...  when all that
was true - the poster(s) just either wasn't around then [and it is now a
then, not a now] and/or chose not to participate.  Someone not choosing
to participate means they don't get heard.  And sometimes someone is
heard - and it still doesn't go that way [has happened to be no small
number of times].  If there is *specifically* something someone doesn't
like then we can discuss that and possible ways to improve it; but the
conspiratorial tone of much of the vitriol simply has no merit in fact.
And a large portion is very 'recycled' and complaints that have been
answered over and over again [like the gnome-shell-is-for-touch-screens
or gnome-shell-is-for-tablets thing].