Re: gnome3, yet another negative feedback

On 05/21/2013 07:38 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
There is a factor here that if someone doesn't want to adapt their practices - then any new interface is going to be clumsy...

Even then, there are plenty of extensions designed to bring back the old panel and menus approach for those who want to stay with that. And, of course, there's MATE, which is really rather good in its 1.6 release.

The best way to use Gnome Shell is to spend a little bit of time using it as the designers intend. Find out what you like and what you don't like, then see if you can fix the "don't like" part with extensions.

If you just don't like it and don't want to use it, there are plenty of other fish in the sea. KDE is a fine professional piece of work, for example, but I don't like using it. That's not the fault of the KDE developers and designers.

I'm not a heavy keyboard user, so I install the DashToDock extension (turns the Dash into a real configurable dock independent of the Overview), kill the hot corner and window animations and I'm good to go. Thanks to the automatic creation/deletion of work spaces, I can control my desktop exclusively via the dock.

It's surprising to me that more than two years on Gnome Shell is still subject to so much vitriol. Liking Gnome 2 and regretting its demise is fine. But, all things end. Failing to accept that, venting bile and attacking people who happen to like Gnome Shell, all apparently based on the presumption that the developers broke some kind of sacred obligation, is inappropriate behavior.