Re: Vincent Untz and the "users that like to hate people"

On Sat, 2013-02-16 at 07:43 +0000, Harry Kashouli wrote:
> This guy is an example of someone who should shut up, listen to his
> users, and never ever try championing his cause until he decides to
> get off his ego.

Pot, kettle?  Congrats on being such a positive voice.

> There are a myriad of user comments ever since Gnome 3 came out, and
> even during its alpha/beta phases. Hell, I myself also had concerns
> during the beta, but I liked the original ideas. But then Gnome
> developers started removing feature after feature.

As a developer [not of GNOME]... this is how development is done.  And
many features have come back [GOA, and a variety of other services...].
This is how development works;  you have limited resources, so you need
to limit your scope.

> Instead, he dismisses all the comments/feedback by saying that "these
> people just like to hate the world",

Having been on the Internet from the '80s and in Open Source since the
LINUX kernel was pre-1.... HE IS RIGHT!   The drive-by nattering is
incessant; who cares, tune them out.  There are ways to influence a
project, ... those ways take work.   If someone comments on my BLOG, and
disappears, yeah, I don't care.  That is simply healthy.  If you submit
a patch to one of my projects - then I love you can care allot.

> Gnome 3 is not the best desktop,

Using it right now, seems pretty amazing.  AND yes I'm using it on
multiple large displays, not a "tablet".  Slick, stable, fast, and
productive.

> and it is not the worst desktop.

Nope.

>  What it is, is a desktop and group of people that refuse to see
> potential improvements to a product that could blow everything else
> out of the water.

Every version is clearly improved over the previous one.  GNOME 3.6 was
a real milestone.  The extension system is amazing.

>  Instead, they focused from he start to the tablet fad,

BULL BULL BULL BULL BULL BULL BULL BULL $&#&#$#.  This is a tired and
exhausted meme.  GNOME 3 is meant to work on tablets I suppose - NOTHING
WHAT SO EVER limits its practicality in other work environments.   There
are [yes, it is true!] some memes that carry over from the mobile/tablet
space to the desktop.  But there is nothing that limits GNOMEs use on a
laptop/desktop.

I reject this notion of GNOME-is-for-tables utterly and completely.
Anyone who says this, simply, has not used GNOME.  They are drive-bying
and I dismiss their argument.

> and now that the desktop is not dead,

Nope, the desktop is alive and well.

>  they shot themselves in the foot. They constantly remove features and
> claim that users can add them back by editing files.

Really??? What / where?  I have not edited any files to configure my
desktop in YEARS.  I would consider that epic-fail.

>  Had they simply minimalised the initial experience, and
> enabled/disabled said options via the GUI, no one would have cared
> much.

Eh?  Sounds like what they did to me.

> Apparently, as he says, they could not put all the options in the UI,
> because "it would be impossible".

I agree with him - massive configuration panes are awful.

> Well, then the KDE developers must be gods; they seem to manage it.

And it is a mess.  You should go use KDE and be happy there

> And then he says that he works at SUSE; the Linux distribution/company
> that has embraced KDE almost more than any other for a very long time.

Oh, whatever.  I work for a forklift maintenance company, so?

> Vincent Untz, the man almost as insane as certain kernel developers
> that force their personal beliefs. You are a bully of the worst kind.

Bullying through contribution,  I recommend you try it.

>  You force your opinion on people's daily experiences with their
> computer,

Actually, the choose to install it.

> instead of allowing them to choose their way.

They choose what to install.

> Gnome 3 was not ready,

BULL.  Then how is it that I use it 50+ hours a day?

>  just like KDE4 was not ready,

I don't know or care about KDE, so can't comment.  I like to stick to
things I know about.

--
Adam Tauno Williams  GPG D95ED383