Fallback solution still available?

Hi a few questions:

(I'm upgrading most computers to Debian testing, and want to keep as
many good features of gnome2 as possible)

1) is the fallback solution of gnome3 still available?
2) my laptop does have a slow 3D card, I think an i915. this makes
gnome3 extremely slow, I do only have 1G of memory. How to select the 2D
option, I cannot find any gnome settings options.
3) How to get notifications, e.g. of new mails when evolution is not in
the current desk/whatever name?
4) I want my netspeed applet back on the window list, any chances for
that?
5) Will have more questions later

Thanks!