Re: Very disappointed in Gnome 3

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 01:52:26 +0200
Olav Vitters <olav@xxxxxxxxxx> dijo:

>GNOME 3.0 is just the first version. It might not be the end-all for
>everyone yet, but that is why there is a fallback option in 3.0 and a
>3.2 in September, followed by 3.4 and so on.

I use Gnome 2.32.0 on Fedora 14, x86_64. I have deliberately not
upgraded to Fedora 15 because of all the comments about Gnome 3.0. But
I will have to upgrade in a few months, as Fedora will not support 14
once Fedora 16 is out.

I am very fussy about what my desktop looks like, and for a reason. I
have a mental problem with distractions. Therefore, my desktop is
utterly blank - a solid light color with no icons anywhere, not even
wallpaper. I use only the panel on the top. Over years of using
computers I have come to dislike icons.

I did try a live CD of Fedora 15, and found it impossible to
concentrate on any tasks because of the constant background clutter.
Unfortunately, being a live CD it was impossible to change the
appearance of the desktop - evidently changes must be written to disk
and you can't do that with a live CD.

So I am very interested in whether it is possible to configure Gnome 3
to have no icons on the desktop, not even for launching applications,
and a solid light color wallpaper.

Failing that I would like to know about the "fallback option" quoted
above. What exactly is the "fallback option"? Would it allow me the
same configuration in Gnome 3 that I have with 2.32.0?