Re: Very disappointed in Gnome 3

On 14 Aug 2011, at 18:10, alexander.wilms wrote:

> Someone on this mailing list mentioned that Linus ditched Gnome for XFCE and the response was that Gnome wasn't designed to be the DE for a Kernel hacker. But apparently he didn't have any issues with the previous release of Gnome, so I am wondering why this release doesn't target both newbies and experienced users.

Au contraire, Linus frequently complained about GNOME 2 as well. If he really liked GNOME 2 that much, there's no reason he couldn't still be using it, along with the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of others of current GNOME 2 users whose distros won't be updating to GNOME 3 anytime soon. But of course he's more than welcome to use XFCE instead -- such is the freedom of choice afforded to all of us in the world of free software.

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Oracle Corporation Ireland Ltd.
mailto:calum.benson@xxxxxxxxxx         Solaris Desktop Team

Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Oracle Corp.