gnome 3: application list

I am trying gnome3 on an extra laptop.  I first created a dummy user and
was able to start emacs by <windows-key>emacs<return>

Now I am trying it with my main user on this same extra laptop.
When I type <windows-key>ema
the only choices are evolution (presumably for EMAil) and email
settings.

How does it determine the applications that are available?
When I bring up a terminal and type  "which emacs",
it correctly shows "/usr/bin/emacs".

I did notice that, when I look at my account settings, I am an
"administrator" (shades of windows).  Is this because I am in the
sudoers file (my uid is *not* 0)?

allan

PS This system is gentoo with the gnome overlay