Re: Gnome 3 and computer shut down

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 07:32:17AM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 11-06-20 07:26 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:
> >
> > Applets are only available in fallback mode.
>
> Is that permanent?  i.e. applets will *never* be available in GNOME
> Shell-proper?

According to what I've seen from the designers: for now, yes.

Goal is 'distract-free', while applet-like things would result in
distraction.

But there is work going on for an extensions website (like what is now
in the gnome-shell-extensions repository). So 'proper' and 'real life'
will differ once that is available.
Further, 'gnome-tweak-tool' either already or in Git allows you to
install/remove extensions.

My personal view is that the designers themselves are also using GNOME
3.0 more in daily life, that they'll get more personal experience with
it together with feedback from everyone else who are using it. Based on
that, things might change (though cannot read their minds :P). It is
also the case that the designers want more things than 3.0 provides...
so some things are a bit lacking ("good enough").

> > It would've been really nice to have gnome-applets ported, but there
> > just was not enough time and everything else was good enough.
>
> But considering that the applets provide the most "usefulness" (i.e.
> actual information instead of just eye-candy) of desktop how could that
> be considered "good enough"?

If useful and distract free, then it might be added, otherwise I assume
someone will write an extension.

The extensions already really popular, though they aren't totally easy
to use.

> > Having the exact same features while the focus is different also is
> > unrealistic.
>
> I did say "relevant" in my previous posting.  Of course a different
> focus does mean that things might not be relevant with the new focus.
> However, delivering useful information (i.e. weather, resource usage,
> etc.) cannot be considered irrelevant.

Weather information will be in GNOME 3.2, but I think you'd need to
click the time first.. not sure of this though.

Various resource usage extensions are also already available.
--
Regards,
Olav