Gnome keyboard and panel applet problems

Recently I started having keyboard problems.  I got the keyboard error
dialog when logging in and several keys were disabled until I changed
the keyboard preferences.  I noticed that if I logged in as a different
user the problem did not occur.  I tried to find the offending setting
but finally gave up (no help on the web either).  So I deleted my .gconf
dir and logged back in.  No more keyboard problems but now the battery
stat applet displays the colors incorrectly (when fully charged the
green color just fills the lower end of the battery icon).  Again this
only happens for the one user.  Anyone know how to fix this short of
dleteing the user and starting from scratch?

Using gnome 2.12.1 from Fedora Core 4 (yea I know that's old but this is
the choice of m,y employer)
No recent updates that I know of is there a way to see a list of updates
and when they were done?

Thanks