Editing applications.menu, .desktop, .directory killed gnome

I have just tried to create a menu item in SLES 10 under their application menu tool.  I logged off and I see the splash screen that's supposed to load all the things, nautilus, gnome etc.  Where it's supposed to load gnome the screen goes black.  It's not a video problem because it works fine unless I edit the icon menu.  Can someone give me a few pointers as to how to debug it?

I even deleted everything and tried to get it back to it's original state but to no avail.

Thanks,