What exactly is "Slow client purge delay"

I am currently having problems with logging out from gnome sessions.
When clicking logout immediately (or soon) after starting a session the
logout dialog does not appear for quite a while. When I wait a while
after logging in and then log out, the logout dialog appears immediately.

After some testing it became apparent that the dialog never appears
before a fixed time (about 2 minutes) after the session is started. Once
this time has passed, the dialog will appear immediately. If logout is
pressed before that time, the dialog will appear exactly when this time
has passed.

After looking in google for a while i found the "Slow client purge
delay" setting (and the corresponding --purge-delay option for
gnome-session). Changing this has a direct effect on my problem. i.e:
The time when the logout dialog can first be used after the start of a
session is exactly after "slow client purge delay" milliseconds.

My question is: What exactly is this delay, and what does it wait on ?
 From the descriptions I have found so far i presume it waits until some
internal gnome-services start up (the failure of which causes my
problem). Can I somehow find out which program/service causes gnome to
wait for the full duration of this timer before allowing me to log out ?

regards,
Michael

--
Thinstuff s.r.o