default and mandatory settings

I'm new to gnome so forgive me if these are stupid questions.  I'm just
trying to make sure I understand how it works.

Theoretically if I copied everything in the
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults directory into the
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory directory, suddenly all of my default
settings would become mandatory.  Correct?  Not that I would do this.
I'm just verifying that this is the type of content this directory
should have.  It's empty by default, so I can't say for sure.

Also, if login as a test user, make changes to preferences, then copy
the contents of the test user's .gonf directory to the
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults directory, the changes I made to the test
user's preference would be my default settings for other users?  In this
case will I have to worry about there being any references to my test
username in any of the config files?

Thanks,

Ron