Keyboard Layouts

I am new to the Gnome lists and to linux in general. I have installed
Mandrake 10.1 with Gnome being my preferred desktop on an HP Pavillion
ze5300. There are keyboard maps for several of the other HP models but
not this one. I have played with getting the extra keys to work under
KDE and Gnome using Xev to find out the key addresses. How would I
create a keyboard layout that I could use in Gnome as well as provide
for inclusion into the next release of Gnome?