modifying menu items

Happy New Year, all!

I'm 'fairly' new at linux and have started to get the hang of compiling.
In so
doing, I've been able to download some GNOME-centric apps that are not
available from my distro (YDL 3.0). Thusly, I began to edit my
Applications
menu - No Dice.

using nautilus, URI- 'applications:///' I am unable to create a 'New
Launcher'
from either File menu or right-click; create a Launcher on the Desktop
or a
panel and drag or copy it to the 'applications:///' window; copy a
current
Launcher in order to edit it.

I have tried the procedures as user, opening nautilus as 'su', and
logging in
as root. The error I keep getting this:

	Error while copying.

	Error "Unsupported operation" while copying.
	Would you like to continue?

My queries are:
Am I missing something (libs, maybe)?
Is there a work around for this in CLI?