Re: State of the gluster project

Hi Diego,
I have had a look at BeeGFS and is seems more similar
to ceph then to gluster. It requires extra management
nodes similar to ceph, right?
Second of all there are no snapshots in BeeGFS, as
I understand it.
I know ceph has snapshots so for us this seems a
better alternative. What is your experience of ceph?

I am sorry to hear about your problems with gluster,
from my experience we had quite some issues with gluster
when it was "young", I thing the first version we installed
whas 3.5 or so. It was also extremly slow, an ls took forever.
But later versions has been "kind" to us and worked quite well
and file access has become really comfortable.

Best regards
Marcus

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 10:16:08AM +0200, Diego Zuccato wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 at 10:29, Marcus Pedersén <marcus.pedersen@xxxxxx
> > <mailto:marcus.pedersen@xxxxxx>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi all,
> >     I just have a general thought about the gluster
> >     project.
> >     I have got the feeling that things has slowed down
> >     in the gluster project.
> >     I have had a look at github and to me the project
> >     seems to slow down, for gluster version 11 there has
> >     been no minor releases, we are still on 11.0 and I have
> >     not found any references to 11.1.
> >     There is a milestone called 12 but it seems to be
> >     stale.
> >     I have hit the issue:
> >     https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/4085
> >     <https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/4085>
> >     that seems to have no sollution.
> >     I noticed when version 11 was released that you
> >     could not bump OP version to 11 and reported this,
> >     but this is still not available.
> >
> >     I am just wondering if I am missing something here?
> >
> >     We have been using gluster for many years in production
> >     and I think that gluster is great!! It has served as well over
> >     the years and we have seen some great improvments
> >     of stabilility and speed increase.
> >
> >     So is there something going on or have I got
> >     the wrong impression (and feeling)?
> >
> >     Best regards
> >     Marcus
> >     ---
> >     När du skickar e-post till SLU så innebär detta att SLU behandlar
> >     dina personuppgifter. För att läsa mer om hur detta går till, klicka
> >     här <https://www.slu.se/om-slu/kontakta-slu/personuppgifter/
> >     <https://www.slu.se/om-slu/kontakta-slu/personuppgifter/>>
> >     E-mailing SLU will result in SLU processing your personal data. For
> >     more information on how this is done, click here
> >     <https://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/contact-slu/personal-data/
> >     <https://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/contact-slu/personal-data/>>
> >     ________
> >

> >     Community Meeting Calendar:
> >
> >     Schedule -
> >     Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
> >     Bridge: https://meet.google.com/cpu-eiue-hvk
> >     <https://meet.google.com/cpu-eiue-hvk>
> >     Gluster-users mailing list
> >     Gluster-users@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Gluster-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >

> > ________
> >

> > Community Meeting Calendar:
> >
> > Schedule -
> > Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
> > Bridge: https://meet.google.com/cpu-eiue-hvk
> > Gluster-users mailing list
> > Gluster-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> --
> Diego Zuccato
> DIFA - Dip. di Fisica e Astronomia
> Servizi Informatici
> Alma Mater Studiorum - Università di Bologna
> V.le Berti-Pichat 6/2 - 40127 Bologna - Italy
> tel.: +39 051 20 95786
> ________
>

> Community Meeting Calendar:
>
> Schedule -
> Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
---