Re: Replace faulty host

Hi Strahil,
Thanks for your help and info.
I guess that just copy gluster info from the faulty
server to the new server would be the easiest and
should "just work".
My reason for reuse of FQDN is that we have a
naming system that tells us more about a server
if you know how the system is built up,
but as you say it is much simpler and better to
replace the faulty server with a server with a
different name.
For now I manage to heal the faulty sectors on disk
so my OS was happy again. Have to keep my eyes on that server
as you never know if it was a temporary hick-up or if the
disk has some faulty sectors.

Thanks for the help, now I have a plan if the disk missbehaves again!!

Best regards
Marcus

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 01:56:07AM +0000, Strahil Nikolov wrote:
> [...]
>

> Hi Markus,
>
> It looks quite well documented, but please use https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_gluster_storage/3.5/html/administration_guide/sect-replacing_hosts as 3.5 is the latest version for RHGS.
>
> If the OS disks are failing, I would have tried moving the data disks to the new machine and transferring the gluster files in /etc and /var/lib to the new node.
>
> Any reason to reuse the FQDN ?
> For me it was always much simpler to remove the brick, remove the node from TSP, add the new node and then add the brick and trigger full heal.
>
> Best Regards,
> Strahil Nikolov
>

> On Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 1:30 PM, Marcus Pedersén <marcus.pedersen@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I have a problem with one of our gluster clusters.
>
> This is the setup:
> Volume Name: gds-common
> Type: Distributed-Replicate
> Volume ID: 42c9fa00-2d57-4a58-b5ae-c98c349cfcb6
> Snapshot Count: 26
> Number of Bricks: 1 x (2 + 1) = 3
> Transport-type: tcp
> Bricks:
> Brick1: urd-gds-031:/urd-gds/gds-common
> Brick2: urd-gds-032:/urd-gds/gds-common
> Brick3: urd-gds-030:/urd-gds/gds-common (arbiter)
> Options Reconfigured:
> cluster.granular-entry-heal: on
> storage.fips-mode-rchecksum: on
> transport.address-family: inet
> performance.client-io-threads: off
> features.barrier: disable
>

> The arbiter node has a faulty root disk but it is still
> up and glusterd is still running.
> I have a spare server equal to the arbiter node,
> so my plan is to replace the arbiter host and
> then I can calmly reinstall OS and fix the rest of
> the configuration on the faulty host to be used
> in another cluster.
>
> I want to use the same hostname on the new host.
> What is the correct commands and way to replace the aribter node.
> I search online and found this:
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_gluster_storage/3/html/administration_guide/sect-replacing_hosts
> Can I use this guide to replace the host?
>
> Please, give me advice on this.
>
> Many thanks in advance!!
>
> Best regards
> Marcus
>
> ---
> När du skickar e-post till SLU så innebär detta att SLU behandlar dina personuppgifter. För att läsa mer om hur detta går till, klicka här <https://www.slu.se/om-slu/kontakta-slu/personuppgifter/>
> E-mailing SLU will result in SLU processing your personal data. For more information on how this is done, click here <https://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/contact-slu/personal-data/>
> ________
>

> Community Meeting Calendar:
>
> Schedule -
> Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC

* Marcus Pedersén                                *
* System administrator                           *
* Interbull Centre                               *
* ================                               *
* Department of Animal Breeding & Genetics — SLU *
* Box 7023, SE-750 07                            *
* Uppsala, Sweden                                *
* Visiting address:                              *
* Room 55614, Ulls väg 26, Ultuna                *
* Uppsala                                        *
* Sweden                                         *
* Tel: +46-(0)18-67 1962                         *
*     ISO 9001 Bureau Veritas No SE004561-1      *
---