Simple quota in GlusterFS 11

Dear list,

I noticed that GlusterFS 11 introduces a new "simple quota" system. According to the pull request¹ the implementation is based on Amar's earlier proposal² and is inspired by work they did in Kadalu. Other than that I don't see any documentation or discussion about these features.

Specifically, it seems that the implementation relies on the quota features of the underlying filesystem (for example XFS or ZFS). This sounds orders of magnitude more efficient than crawling! Can someone explain how it works or share their experience / docs? We had tried the earlier quota implementation and did not have good luck at all.

Thank you,

¹ https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/pull/1750
² https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/1774

--