Re: Need hardware suggestions for gluster + archival usecase

Il 2021-07-19 06:44 Pranith Kumar Karampuri ha scritto:
On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 3:56 PM Strahil Nikolov
<hunter86_bg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I can add that you should use bitrod, if you plan to keep data in
glusterfs for a longer period.

My company uses zfs, so it probably would be redundant. zfs does
something similar I think.

In this case, I would peek into something as below:
- a 3-way mirror or appropriate raidz2/3 for medium term, hot storage (5-10 years);
- send/recv the pool regularly on another server, possibly a remote one;
- LTO tapes with a good rotation policy for cold storage.

The real challenge, however, would be to keep the place safe from fire, theft, etc for so much time. So, you should really investigate a remote backup option. Cloud services could be tempting, but we have no assurance they will be online/available 40 years from now (ie: Amazon Glacier becoming a discontinued product, who know!).

I am not sure how Gluster fit the bill. Maybe via geo-replication? But using ZFS you have send/recv...

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico