Regarding Monitoring Gluster

Hi,

I am studying Gluster. I have successfully installed Gluster and tried playing around with it using 2 Virtual Machines. Right now, I am in the process of figuring out the best monitoring practice.

I would like to use Prometheus and found https://github.com/ofesseler/gluster_exporter . I have installed and ran this already and got the metrics accordingly.

Majority of the metrics are self-explanatory and could be used easily for monitoring and notification. However, I am looking for more information on the metrics gluster_brick_fop_*. All these gluster_brick_fop_* have fop_name as CREATE, ENTRYLK, FINODELK, etc. I believe these are all file operations, but I would like some more information on each of them. I have been looking in https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/ but I couldn't find much information on them.

So first question: Could you please elaborate or point me to a document on these fop_name?

Second question: Another issue I have is I would like to monitor "network health" of Gluster. Behind the scene, Gluster automagically does its thing on all the hosts. Right now, I am not using Gluster in tens or hundreds of VM, but in the future, I definitely will. Is there a way to monitor how Gluster goes around in a network? For example, suppose a very huge file is sent into a volume, is it possible to see how this file got distributed around, monitoring the upload/download data transfer rate in realtime, perhaps for foreseeing possible network/infrastructure bottlenecks and what not?

Thank you and Best Regards,
Iono
________

Community Meeting Calendar: