Re: performance

Hi Strahil,

For the sake of completeness I am reporting back that your suspicions seem to have been validated. I talked to the data center, they made some changes. we talked again some days later, and they made some more changes, and for several days now load average on both machines is staying consistently below 5 on both servers. I still have some issues to deal with, but the performance of the machines are now no longer a problem.

I owe you a steak and a beer, at the least; I sincerely hope chance allows me to pay up on that at some point in the future.

On 2020-08-21 12:02 a.m., Computerisms Corporation wrote:
Hi Strahil,

You can use 'virt-what' binary to find if and what type of Virtualization is used.

cool, did not know about that.  trouble server:

root@moogle:/# virt-what
hyperv
kvm

good server:
root@mooglian:/# virt-what
kvm

I have a suspicion you are ontop of Openstack (which uses CEPH), so I guess you can try to get more  info. For example, an Openstack instance can have '0x1af4' in '/sys/block/vdX/device/vendor' (replace X with actual device letter).
Another check could be:
/usr/lib/udev/scsi_id -g -u -d /dev/vda

This command returns no output on the bad server.  Good server returns:

root@mooglian:/# /usr/lib/udev/scsi_id -g -u -d /dev/vda
-bash: /usr/lib/udev/scsi_id: No such file or directory

And also, you can try to take a look with smartctl from smartmontools package:
smartctl -a /dev/vdX

Both servers return:
/dev/vda: Unable to detect device type

When I asked them about this earlier this week I was told the two servers are identical, but I guess there is something different about the server giving me trouble.  I will go back to them and see what they have to say.  Thanks for pointing me at this...

________

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968