Re: State of Gluster project

 My concern for Glusterd2 deprecation is, it tried to implement and fix several things that we need in Gluster, and the promised features were not considered in Gluster afterward "better logging, Journal Based Replication".
We're running both Ceph and Gluster, while both solutions are great in terms of features and performance, Gluster is a little bit behind in terms of stability and monitoring, We have multiple production clusters running Gluster and Red Hat Gluster, and both are somehow challenging "stability wise" when trying to update or replace a node or brick, administration operations are risky.
Troubleshooting tools is something also has not improved from the past releases.
The strength of Gluster, in my opinion, is the simplicity of creating distributed volumes that can be consumed by different clients, and this is why we chose Gluster back in 2016 as our main VMs Storage backend for VMWare and oVirt.
Red Hat contribution to the project is important of course and when we see that major product like OCS is replacing Gluster with Ceph raises some eyebrows.
The announcement of Kadalu a few months ago "or at least when we noticed it" was uncomfortable, as part of the core team of Gluster is now focusing on a new project, although it is depending on Gluster, Kadalu is focusing on persistence storage for containers, while Gluster use cases are not limited to containers.
We suffered "and still" from performance issues with Gluster on use cases related to small files, but Gluster as a storage backend for Virtual Machines is really performant.
Sadly I haven't contributed to the project, but I still want this project to evolve more and be used widely as I still see it as a good Distributed Storage option, with the hope of more focus on stability, tooling for easier troubleshooting and practical monitoring.

--
Respectfully
Mahdi

Community Meeting Calendar: