Re: When can I start using a peer that was added to a large volume?

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 8:27 PM, Tom Cannaerts - INTRACTO <tom.cannaerts@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I added a peer to a 50GB replica volume and initial replication seems to go rather slow. It's about 50GB but has a lot of small files and a lot of files in the same folder.

What would happen if I try to access a file on the new peer? Will it just fail? Will gluster fetch it sealessly from the replication partner? Or will the file just not be there?

If you have mounted the volume on the new peer, and are trying to access the files through the GlusterFS mount, you should face no problems. You wouldn't have the best performance possible owing to GlusterFS's general behaviour with small files, and the additional load of the heal replication happening.

You should never directly access files of a GlusterFS volume from the backend brick directories.

Thanks,

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Tom Cannaerts