Re: Upgrading Gluster revision (3.8.12 to 3.8.13) caused underlying VM fs corruption

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 5:12 PM, Diego Remolina <dijuremo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You should first upgrade servers and then clients. New servers can
> understand old clients, but it is not easy for old servers to understand new
> clients in case it started doing something new.

But isn't that the reason op-version exists? So that regardless of
client/server mix, nobody tries to do "new" things above the current
op-version?

He is not changing mayor versions, just a small step from 3.8.12 to
3.8.13. Corruption should not be happening.

For some reason 3.8 upgrade guide is not where it is supposed to be.
We highly recommend upgrading servers ahead of clients.
https://github.com/nixpanic/glusterdocs/commit/f6d48dc17f2cb6ee4680e372520ec3358641b2bc

I think at some point it is better to make this mandatory. Without a predefined way of upgrading, it is very difficult to fix bugs in backward compatible manner.

I am not sure why the corruption happened either :-(. Pavel, could you give log files may be?

Diego

Pranith