Re: GlusterFS absolute max. storage size in total?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Peter B. <pb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks Amar and Mohamed!

My question was mainly aiming at things like programmatical limitations.
We're already running 2 Gluster-Clusters with 4 nodes each.
3 bricks = 100 TB/node = 400 TB total.

So with Gluster 3.x it's 8PB, possibly more with Gluster 4.x.

Considering 100TB node, we should hit 10PB with 3.x

With Gluster 4.x we are planning to increase the number of hosts/nodes in storage pools.

-Amar

Right?

Thank you very much again!
Peter B.

On 04/20/2017 06:31 AM, Mohamed Pakkeer wrote:
> Hi Amar,
>
> Currently, we are running 40 node cluster and each node has
> 36*6TB(210TB).As of now we don't face any issue with read and write
> performance  except folder listing and disk failure healing. Planning to
> start another cluster with 36*10TB(360)per node. What kind of problem will
> we face if we go with 36*10(360)per node. Planned 360TB per node is far
> from recommended 64TB. We are using Glusterfs with disperse volume for
> video archival.
>
> Regards
> K. Mohamed Pakkeer
>
> On 20-Apr-2017 9:00 AM, "Amar Tumballi" <atumball@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 at 11:07 PM, Peter B. <pb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Could you tell me what the technically maximum limit of capacity of a
>>> GlusterFS storage is?
>>> I cannot find any official statement on this...
>>>
>>> Somewhere it says "several Petabytes", but that's a bit vague.
>>
>> It is mostly vague because the total storage depends on 2 things, what is
>> per node storage you can get, and then how many nodes you have in cluster?
>>
>> It is scalable comfortably for 128nodes, and per node you can have 64TB
>> drives, making it 8PB.
>>

>>> I'd need it for arguing pro GlusterFS in comparison to other systems.
>>
>> Hope the above info helps you. Btw, we are targeting more scalability
>> related improvements in Gluster 4.0, so it should be much larger number
>> from next year.
>>
>> -Amar
>>

>>> Thank you very much in advance,
>>> Peter B.