Re: Is there any limit on the number of volumes

Few questions inline:

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Tanmay Mohapatra <tanmaykm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

We are planning to use GlusterFS for an application that can potentially create about 100,000 volumes (each of quite small capacity).
At any time, only about a 500 of them could be mounted across multiple compute nodes.

More than the mounted volumes (or number of mount points), we do check our resources in terms of brick processes. So, a better question to answer would be how many volumes will be in started state at any point of time.

Again, what is small capacity volume for you? Gluster as of now treats 'brick' as a resource (ie, hostname and an export directory) along with a 'volume' which contains one or more 'bricks', as another resource.  So number of bricks per volume also matter for defining the max number of volumes.

Is there any limit on the number of volumes a GlusterFS cluster can have?

Officially we haven't declared a limit, available memory and other disk resources would matter to define these limits. We have tested with 1000s of volumes, but 100k volumes is not tested till now IMO.

I would also like to know:
- if there is any performance impact of having a large number of volumes

Yes, gluster CLI commands  may become slow. It doesn't matter for filesystem interface.

- do we need to provision any resources differently for this

I don't have a correct answer at the moment.

Thanks & Regards,
Tanmay.

Amar Tumballi (amarts)