Performance testing

Hi All,

I build a Gluster 3.8.4 (RHGS 3.2) cluster for a customer, and I am having some issue demonstrating that it performs well.

The customer compares it with his old NFS based NAS, and runs FIO to test workloads.

What I notice is that FIO throughtput is only +-20Mb/s, which is not a lot.
When I do a simple test with dd I easily get 600Mb/s throughput.
In the fio job file the option "direct=1" is used, which bypasses caching. If we run a fio job with direct=0 the performance goes up a lot, and is near 600Mb/s as well.

The customer insists that on his old system (that Gluster should replace) he could get 600Mb/s throughput with fio, with the setting direct=1. and that he was rather underwhelmed by the performance of Gluster here.

What I need is answers to either:
- Have I overlooked something? I have not really done much tuning yet. Is there some obvious paremeter I overlooked that could change the results of a fio performance test?

or:

- Is testing with "direct=1" not really a way to test Gluster, as the cache is a rather important part of what is needed to make gluster perform?

--
Vriendelijke Groet |  Best Regards | Freundliche Grüße | Cordialement

Krist van Besien | Senior Architect | Red Hat EMEA Cloud Practice | RHCE | RHCSA Open Stack