Re: Rebalancing after adding larger bricks

I've written an example of how gluster's dht works on my blog at https://joejulian.name/blog/dht-misses-are-expensive/ which might make it clear why the end result is not what you expected.

By setting cluster.min-free-disk (defaults to 10%) you can, at least, ensure that your new bricks are utilized as needed to prevent over filling your smaller bricks.