Re: Switching bricks

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Kevin Lemonnier <lemonnierk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I'm about to bump a 1x3 (replicated) volume up to 2x3, but I just realised the 3 new servers
are physically in the same datacenter. Is there a safe way to switch a brick from the first
replica set with one from the second replica set ?

The only way I see how would be to go down to replica 2, removing a brick from the first replica,
then add 2 of the new servers as disperese (at that point the volume would be 2x2),
then go up to replica 3 adding the third one plus the one I removed earlier.
That should work, right ? There is no other "better" way of doing it ?

What you want to do sounds like replace-brick. From what I remember you use sharding,so all the replace-brick changes after 3.7.3 release are already in, so you just need to execute "gluster volume replace-brick <VOLNAME> <SOURCE-BRICK> <NEW-BRICK> commit force". Please make sure new-brick has no data. This will involve full brick healing. So you may want to wait for that to complete before starting add-brick/rebalance. Let us know if you find something that you don't expect in your test runs of this step.

Thanks,
--
Kevin Lemonnier
PGP Fingerprint : 89A5 2283 04A0 E6E9 0111

Pranith