Re: to RAID or not?

If you go the ZFS route - be absolutely sure you set xattr=sa on all filesystems that will hold bricks BEFORE you create bricks on same.  Not doing so will cause major problems with data that should be deleted not being reclaimed until after a forced dismount or reboot (which can take hours -> days if there are several terabytes of data to reclaim.)

Setting it also vastly improves directory and stat() performance.

Setting it after the bricks had been created led to data inconsistencies and eventual data loss on a cluster we used to operate.

-t