Re: Gluster update

> Install the new version of Gluster on a new server or reuse an existing
> server.  Set it up as a new Gluster instance (not part of the existing one).
> Migrate all of your VMs to it.  When they are all migrated, upgrade the
> remaining servers and bring them into the new Gluster instance.

Let's assume a huge cluster, with many petabytes.
Are you saying that for upgrading the existing one, I have to set up a new
petabyte cluster and move all images to the new cluster?

> Depending on your VM infrastructure, you might be able to do this with no
> downtime, otherwise each VM will be down for the amount of time it takes to
> migrate, but you aren't taking down the entire Gluster infrastructure which
> is what you have mentioned.

If you have to move VM between two different clusters, you'll always have
a downtime, as you have to physically move files between servers.

Please read this:
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Upgrade_to_3.7

"GlusterFS upgrade to 3.7.x
"a) Scheduling a downtime
For this approach, schedule a downtime and prevent all your clients
from accessing (umount your volumes, stop gluster Volumes..etc)the
servers."

If I understood properly, you have to bring down the WHOLE CLUSTER,
stopping all clients that are using it
and thus stopping ALL VMs running from that cluster.