Gluster update

I was looking at upgrade procedure for gluster

I've seen that the raccomenfedd procedure is with downtime, shutting down all clients and after that upgrade gluster

Is that true? Very strange, on huge clusters with hundreds of clients and thousands of virtual machines (gluster is a scale-out storage so huge clusters should be normal) would be a mess and a lot of time and money loss

I'm not using gluster but i know for sure that i can't shutdown all of my VMs (actually about 190) for an upgrade
This means shutting down all redundancy, in example I'll have to shut down all nameservers. All of my domains will stop working even the ones pointing outside my network
No DNS =no mails, no sites and so on