Re: have to run gluster peer detach to remove a host form a gluster cluster.

Doesn't sound like a bug to me.

To remove a server from your cluster, you first ensure it's no longer part of any volume; use "gluster volume remov-brick" to remove that server from any volumes it's participating in.

Once the server is no longer part of any volumes, you then "gluster peer detach" that host to remove it from the trusted peer group.