2 NAS design considerations

I'm planning to set up a distributed replicated Gluster installation on two NAS, where one NAS replicates the other. The NAS are not identical, not even in storage size. One has a 12 TB RAID5, the other is virgin and has 3x3TB disks. The entire data to store is currently less than 1TB, but I also want to keep time-machine like snapshots (not necessarily on gluster).

Concerning network load:

1) Will replication occur synchronously, i.e. will it essentially half the network bandwidth for writes, unless I use a second NIC for Gluster internal communication?

Since there are no constant writes, it would be a good idea to wait until the servers are idle.

2) Does it have any impact on performance whether I run a single gluster volume, or multiple volumes.

Concerning bricks:

I read several test setups where bricks were just directories in a larger volume. So it seems to work apart from the free space. Something like brick quota would be a nice feature, but I couldn't find any hint that this exists.

3) For a replicated system, is there any benefit of practical value to have a RAID on the node? The network is the limiting speed factor, and redundance should be given by gluster, right?

4) Are there any experiences with BTRFS?

Thanks for sharing your experiences,
 - lars.